Peanut butter and chocolate.
Need I say more?
Inspired by the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard (which I haven't had in years), but slimmed down, sugar-limited, defatted, and un-dairied. And it still tastes great! This healthy dessert has 110 calories, 5 g fat (none saturated), 1 g sugar, and 7 g protein. Just for comparison's sake, a small Blizzard has 530 calories, 62 (!) grams of sugar, 21 grams of fat (11 of which are saturated), and 13 g protein.
Plus, no cows were harmed in the making of my product.
Without further ado
- 1 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- 1 heaping tsp Agar Powder (I think this is around 1 tbsp Agar Flakes)
- 2 tbsp PB2 (you can experiment with actual peanut butter or almond butter if you want here)
- 1 tbsp Cocoa Powder (brownie points for fair trade/organic!)
- 2 tbsp Sweetener (I used Stevia in the Raw, which measures like sugar)
- 1 pinch salt
- Optional Protein Powder (if you want to use this as a post work-out snack)
- Microwave almond milk in mug for about 30 sec in microwave
- Add remaining ingredients and stir (all might not dissolve, so give it your best shot and move on to step three)
- Microwave at 30 sec intervals, stirring in between until mixture is hot and all is dissolved
- Refrigerate for several hours
If you want it extra smooth, I would recommend placing it in the blender after it's done. Plus, if you wanted, you could really go for the Blizzard effect: add a frozen banana and blend!